Thursday, September 24, 2009

Adventures in Quiche

I did it. I made a quiche (and the pastry crust) from scratch! If I can do this in a timely manner and without injury then by God anyone can. I made two different quiches, one involving asparagus and another with bacon and mushroom.

For the crust I used a very basic recipe that I dug up on Food Network:

Pat in a Pan Pie Crust:

Recipe courtesy Joe Ray

  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup oil
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 2 tablespoons milk

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

In a 9-inch pie pan, combine all ingredients and mix with a fork. After mixing well, use your hand to form a ball in the pan and then press into pan. Bring it up on the sides and pinch the top. Bake for 10 to 11 minutes or until golden brown.

Yield: 1 pie crust

The pie crusts took no more than 10 minutes to get together. Possibly one of the easiest and most impressive things I've ever done. I will be making all my own pie crusts from now on since it's easier than actually keeping them in my fridge, thawing them, and rolling them out.

For the asparagus quiche I pan roasted the asparagus for a few minutes before putting it in the quiche and was unable to find prosciutto so left it out. It was an unpleasant quiche according to my customer focus group (dad and sister).

The second quiche was wildly successful! I used baby portabella mushrooms and just put them into the custard without sauteing them first. I left out the parsley because I don't particularly care for it and I know of no one that's passionate about keeping parsley in a dish. I also fried up the bacon and then cut it up with some scissors so that the fat was all trimmed off. I took this quiche with me to book club and it received rave reviews from everyone. The next step would be to figure out how to make a low calorie version of this quiche or at the least, a lower calorie version. Based on the strength of this particular quiche, I've been asked to do a couple of quiches for a friend's bridal luncheon so we'll see if I can't make a bit of a dent in the calorie content of the quiche without affecting the flavor too much.

I have no idea what I want to cook next but if you (whoever you might be) have any ideas, please let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment