Saturday, September 12, 2009

Korma Comedian

Ah, cooking is not without risks. The primary one being that you'll spend time, energy, and money to make something and it'll turn out to be crap. I have crashed headlong into that when making some Navratan Korma. The only thing I changed is that I doubled the recipe and used coconut milk instead of milk and heavy cream (I also doubled the garlic and ginger pastes but that was an additional direction given by the recipe maker). It turned out to be shockingly spicy. Now that I think about it, using milk and heavy cream might have kept some of the heat from the cayenne at bay but if, and I stress the if-ness of that if, I make this again, the cayenne will be halved. Also, more dry fruit. I should definitely have put in some dried apricot etc, but didn't think about it until after I was packing up the leftovers. Anyway, much was learned about the power of spice and about the dangers of trying to make Indian food at home.

We also had some Chicken Tikka Masala using the sauce made by Patak's. Normally I'm very wary of premade sauce but this stuff is pretty damn tasty and the right amount of heat. So, when you can't bear to screw up a pound of chicken with kitchen wizardry, Patak's is the way to go, in my opinion. My sister and I certainly find their stuff reliably tasty and very affordable. It is pretty unhealthy though, but so is ice cream, casual sex, and feeding the wildlife, so use your own judgement.

My sister also got very badly burned when some very hot paneer went astray. My apologies to her for being overzealous with the paneer.

Tonight is a night for takeaway, probably chinese, because sometimes you just need really horrible food that has no redeeming value to its name.

The next food adventure is going to be quiche. I love quiche and have threatened to leave my boyfriend if ever an adorable manatee ever learns how to make quiche. I would also accept a quiche made by a lemur.

This asparagus and prosciutto quiche is meant to be gluten free but I'm probably going to ignore the gluten free parts of it and use ordinary ingredients. I may even attempt to make my own crust (*gasp*) so watch this space. Also, going to try and figure out how to post pictures

No comments:

Post a Comment