Thursday, September 10, 2009

Sauces and Vegetables

Yesterday was a day of much vegetable chopping. I probably bought more vegetables than I needed but they'll definitely get nommed before they go off so that's fine. We had Plowman's share for dinner which was made up of:

2 onions
5 zucchini
3 carrots
2 bell peppers

You cook all these vegetables in whatever way makes you happy, make a baked potato, throw the vegetables on top with some sour cream and butter and chow down. This happily fed four of us.

Unfortunately the grill was out of commission so there was no delicious chargrilled veggies to be had this time round but we had Asparagus with Saffron Aioli anyway. The Saffron Aioli was incredibly easy to make and tasted heavenly. It's definitely replacing Hollandaise sauce in this house. The best part was that you could actually taste the saffron. It would probably taste amazing as a sandwich spread as well. I may try that this afternoon.

Also had some Lime Butter Sauce to go with corn on the cob. It wasn't as lime flavored as I would have preferred but then, I'm pretty much addicted to limes and anything lime flavored. It did contrast incredibly with the sweetness of the corn and brought out other flavors that you don't normally taste.

For my next feat of cooking daring do, I want to make some minestrone because it's starting to get a bit cooler and I want to have an excuse to buy more vegetables. Also, joy of joys, it can be made in just one pot! Hurrah!

So keep your eyes peeled for Summer Minestrone with Pesto here next.

No comments:

Post a Comment